Sunday, March 27, 2011

Irish Soda Bread

So, I decided to make Irish Soda Bread for St. Patricks Day. It was very hard to find a tradtional recipe because there is so many recipes to chose from. So, finally one of my husband's friends, who is Irish, passed me a recipe. It's not the traditional Irish Soda Bread, but, it was very, very good. What I found out is that traditional Irish Soda Bread does not have raisins. If your "soda bread " has rasins, it's not traditional soda bread. It's called "Spotted Dog" or " Railway Cake".  "Bread" a traditional Soda Bread is usually baked and leavened food made of a mixture of whose basic constituent is flour or meal.  "Cake" a sweet baked food made from a dough, or thick batter, usually containing flour and sugar and often shortening, eggs, and a raising agent (as baking powder). I have tried both . Both really good but i must say the "cake " was tasty. Especially toasted with a spread of butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment